09/07/2018 by Ivan 0 Comments
Things to do in Sydney
We've been to Sydney twice together as Globeguys, but I also lived out there for a year back in my twenties whilst I did the whole backpacking around the world thing. Sydney is without a doubt one of our favourite cities, and that feeling of excitement we get when we are headed there is quite unlike anywhere else really.
It has everything we look for in a city, modern architecture, friendly people, landmarks and natural beauty, and of course great weather, which for us sun starved BRITS is a massive attraction! Let's be honest when people think of Sydney most people think of the Opera House or the Harbour Bridge but there is also so much more to this amazing and vibrant city.
Yes the harbour is breathtaking and has to be seen to be believed, I can't tell you how many ferries I've taken from Circular Key to Manly just to enjoy the harbour and the bridge and the Opera House is one of those buildings on everyones bucket list.
Sydney is surrounded by beautiful beaches but if you fancy more of a country vibe then the Blue Mountains are only a couple of hours away and provides a much more rural setting, it's perfect for a day trip but if you have the time then Katoomba the main town is a great place to base yourself to explore.
Back onto Sydney now and for those who are wondering what else there is to do there apart from of course drink schooners of beer, or learn to surf, there is loads on offer, check out *Sydney100.com for inspiration and below are my highlights...
- Manly* is a great day out, it has a great town centre which you walk through on the way to the beach, it also has a great fish restaurant right on the pier where the ferry docks which looks very inviting if your a seafood lover.
- Taronga Zoo* offers a brilliant day out for animal lovers whilst also offering spectacular views of the city.
- Bondi Beach* needs no introduction or explanatio really except to say probably the most famous beach in the world.
- Sydney Tower Eye is the largest building in the city and you can walk out onto a viewing platform at the top, not for the faint hearted but thoroughly enjoyable!
- Featherdale Wildlife Park for those of you who want to hug a Koala, this is the place to do it
- The Rocks is located near Circular Quay, it has loads of old buildings with loads of history, it also has a great market on weekends.
- Harbour Bridge Climb* is a must do for everyone, the view from the top is unbelievable!
- Nightlife*, Sydney has a great one, so much to do from a harbour cruise to a cocktail in a skybar, maybe a schooner of beer in the local bar, you can even climb the harbour bridge at night if you want. Sydney has an abundance of clubs and bars to suit every taste, and has one of the best gay scenes in the world.
Are you planning a trip to Sydney or somewhere else in Australia anytime soon? Tell us about it.